Thursday, December 1, 2011

Dana's Shopping Hero


Alicia Silverstone is my hero. Not just because she starred in Clueless, the best movie ever which I was obsessed with when it was released in 1995 and still can't resist watching when I find it while channel-surfing on the TV. Not just because I absolutely wanted to be her when she starred in those amazing Aerosmith videos. Not just because she is about my age, super talented and amazingly accomplished.

For about a year now, Alicia has been my kitchen hero, too, since I am a huge fan of her awesome vegan/macrobiotic cookbook, The Kind Diet. The recipes are simple, yummy, healthy and of course, kind to the planet. If you haven't checked it out, you must take a look at both the book and her accompanying blog, The Kind Life.

And now, after reading this People article, Alicia is my shopping hero too! Alicia told People that she buys everything second-hand, which I think is awesome and admirable.

Most of the things we want and need are available second-hand, either at thrift or consignment stores, or via Craigslist, or just in the good old fashioned classified ads. Most of the times, with a little perseverance and patience, you can find everything you are looking for used. You'll be doing both the planet and your wallet a favor, since used merchandise will cost you nothing but a fraction of the retail price, and, as Alicia points out, you are buying "really locally, and it already exists."

PS: Susan adds: "Alicia is my hero, too, because of her ongoing animal rescue efforts!"

No comments:

Post a Comment